Sam Beam, better known by his stage name of Iron & Wine, visited the WFHB studios before playing a sold-out show at the Buskirk-Chumley Theater. Over the last two Iron & Wine albums, Beam has expanded his sound with bigger arrangements, dabbling in jazz and R&B, and touring with a twelve-piece band. On this short tour, however, Iron & Wine is back to its roots—just Beam and his acoustic guitar, singing folk songs with gorgeous melodies and deceptively dark lyrics. We discussed his background as a filmmaker and professor, and how listeners take ownership of his songs. Why did he choose the name “Iron & Wine”? “Because Sam Beam sounds kind of lame.” Upon request, Beam performed “Joy,” “Upward Over the Mountain,” and “Love and Some Verses.”
Category Archives: MusicFeed Subscription
Local Live on WFHB brings us to The Bishop for our monthly remote broadcast with an exclusive performance from Vollmar.
1. Open Window 2. Simple Tune 3. The Light Was Awfully Fast 4. Abby 5. Ice Cube in the River 6. The Only One 7. Hope in Your Eyes? 8. Nana 9. I Want to See You Again 10. Beside the Sea (Beside the Sea extended)
Originally broadcast on August 6, 2014
Local group Amigo Fields will bring their unique blend of English and Spanish Americana music to Saturday’s Child at 11 a.m. Sept. 13, in the Monroe County History Center.
Available in September at Lotus Festival and as our Fall Fund Drive premium in early October. You can reserve an advance copy during our August Lotus Drive.
LOTUS LIVE ON WFHB VOLUME 4 tracklist 1. Bassekou Kouyate & Ngoni Ba (Mali) Jama Ko
2. Leyla McCalla (U.S) Mesi Bondye
3. De Temps Antan (Canada – Quebec) Mepriseuse de Garcons
4. Christine Salem (Réunion Island) Finale
5. DakhaBrakha (Ukraine) Sho Z-pod Duba
6. Noura Mint Seymali (Mauritania) El Barm
7. Pacific Curls (New Zealand) Islands Are Sinking
8. Frigg (Scandinavia) Polkka V
9. David Wax Museum (U.S.) La Guacamaya
10. Nass Marrakech (Morocco) Yo Mala
Saxophonist and blues singer Nate Johnson brings in his band of seasoned musicians for a session of fun and funky blues jams.
1. Nate the Great
2. Down in the Valley (Otis Redding cover)
3. You’re So Unhappy
4. Not Gonna Take it Anymore
5. Bring it on Home (Sam Cooke cover)
Hosted by JR “Jar” Turner
Engineered by Jim Lang, Dan Withered, Ilze Akerbergs
Produced by Erin Tobey
Executive Producer is Jim Manion
With their fresh E.P. on the shelves, Minus World joins the Local Live crew to rock out and take us to some secret levels.
1. Ins and Outs
2. Untitled 1
3. Untitled 2
4. Absolute Zero
Minus World: Greg Moore (guitar, vocals), Greg Simpson (drums, vocals), Jared Coyle (bass)
Produced by Erin Tobey
Engineered by Jim Lang, Dan Withered, Ilsa
Executive Producer is Jim Lang
Hosted by Jar