Home > Posts > Meetings

Category Archives: Meetings

Feed Subscription

News and Public Affairs Committee Minutes – October 23, 2014

Members Present:  Alycin Bektesh, Rich Reardin, Sarah Ryterband, Cynthia Roberts-Hall, Maria McKinley

Members Absent:  Kelly Miller

Chair Sarah calls the meeting to Order at 7:12 pm.

Committee Comments:

Visiting Cuban Artists are in town looking for one more mural to paint for around $1000.  The City does not have any more B-Line space for artists.  Contact Cynthia for more information.

Director’s Report:  Alycin

For our live Election Night coverage, we will simulcast with CATS.  We are going to broadcast from the CATS studio this year.  Although not ideal, it does offer a production studio that will give us the best sound however there is no cell phone service in the studio but we’ll be internet-chatting and have a posted sentry outside to let people in the door which leads directly to the studio.  The County Clerk’s office (Linda Robbins) will be emailing updates to the news media.  Half of our interviews are already booked for election night.  Spots at 15 and 45 on the hour will hopefully be pre-recorded which we can play and there will need to be someone here in the WFHB studio to run things. Rich  R says we could use some inexpensive walkie talkies and Cynthia suggested we contact Lotus festival folks to use their professional grade units to communicate with each other, especially the sentry.

“Back in the day” based on what Joe Estivill has told Cleveland Dietz, there was a programming summit after the fall fund drive where  department heads and news committee and music programming members would meet.  After discussion we have agreed to meet on November 19th at 6 pm for this programming summit.  Cynthia will send out a notice about the change in the NPAC meeting for November.  The NPAC committee will meet on Nov 13th to formulate a plan before this meeting so we will not be reviewing programming but discussing our strategy for the meeting on the 19th.

We need 2 members for our NPAC committee, at least a listener or two listeners.  One listener contacted Alycin about negative feedback concerning the H-T news brief in the mornings and she was invited to attend the meeting tonight to consider joining NPAC.  Another volunteer was also approached by Alycin but is non-committal.  Alycin states  we have the best committee.  And we are all responsible for recruitment.

bloomingOut has put together a great crew that has stepped up to produce the show.  Alycin met Jeff and Jeff who have just moved here from Portland and were involved in local gay radio program there.  There will be many changes to the program including a campus report from LGBT IU students.  The show will be live beginning November 6th.

Rich brings up two issues that he will discuss at the next Board meeting on October 27th:  Helen and Carol’s exit from bloomingOut and the grant for $19,000 for the digital board

CATS week review:

This program is a summary of what has happened and discussed in the various government committees and council meetings from the week.  It is written by our Asst News Director, Joe Crawford, and is produced as a video on the CATS website with the video soundbites pertaining to the stories.  We do not as yet have this linked to our station’s website as CATS wants to draw people to their website   We write it based on CATS’ guidelines but we cannot report it as in the context of a news story.  We could begin to editorialize if we perhaps did a 30 minute story in the format of CATS but then added a 30 minute interview show.  The committee votes to give it a “Green light” and commends Joe for his tireless effort in listening to all those weekly meetings.

Books Unbound:

An open discussion of this program reveals several areas for improvement:

1.  Put up the number of segments online to identify where you are in the book, i.e. this is Segment 4 out of Segment 7.

  1.  The production is not consistent and not as good in certain segments as it relates to the sound. The show could have better editing due to the audible p-pop sounds.
  2. There is some preference to highlight local banned books but those may not be in the public domain which would add a cost although in some cases that would be minimal.
  3. We felt some disconnect with the storyline due to the week in between broadcasts. Rich suggests we put the entire book online and only read portions on air, directing listeners to the website for continuous audio opportunities.
  4. A book should be read like a book and not like radio theater.  Some of us thought the readers went too fast while others thought it was too slow.   We voted to give the show a yellow light and we want to talk to the new producers soon, then review again in 6 months.

Having completed the agenda, we adjourn at 8:50 pm.

Respectfully submitted,

Maria McKinley

Finance Committee Meeting Minutes – October 22, 2014

Attending: Mark Lowe, Jean Hollinger, Pam Davidson, Sarah Borden, Cleveland Dietz

call to order: 6:06pm

1. Audit vs transmitter – Audit wins – $5,000. CPB is $70,000+ income

2. strategic items from strategic plan – Cleveland will share list, and look for in kind donations within [todo]

3. Lotus CDs – more money from BCT placement than Lotus Festival store placement $54 and $30

4. Honda Foundation grant – backup for Raymond Foundation, still will pursue – due Nov 1, pick a strategic spend and run [todo]

5. Angel donors – 1 is in second is coming end of month

6. Fund drive – $8000 short

7. MCCF – pass thru fund. Cleveland to look into it [todo]

8. fund drive numbers – discussed strategies to correct

- lapsed donors, year end drive, credit/debit sustaining donations

9. Sofia Travis grant – calendar mark it for august / sept – county council subcom [todo]

10. Looked at current numbers. Noteworthy:

- 92.3% of pledges collected thus far

- short $4500 in underwriting sales this month

- short $3000 in underwriting day sponsors for fund drive

- need to look at sponsor/underwriting opportunities asap

Adjourn 7:10pm

Executive Committee Meeting Minutes – October 13, 2014

Present:  Joe Estivill, Markus Lowe, Cleveland Dietz, Kelly Wherley (recorder).

  1. Agenda was set.  We discussed the details of what needs to happen for the Personnel Committee.  Additionally, we discussed logistics for the retreat.  We discussed some of the different options that we have for having an audit done for the station—the price tag for which is likely to be a bit more than what we had budgeted for.

Finance Committee Minutes – September 17, 2014

Attending: Cleveland Dietz, Jean Hollinger, Joe Estivill, Mark Lowe

Call to order 6:10pm

Old Business

  1. Audit vs transmitter question

    1. Audit is critical now. CPB funding requires Audit, so Audit is required this year

    2. Need to clarify dates for Audit requirement (and length of years)

    3. Need to clarify the re-classification

    4. Station will need to raise $300k per year to get back to full CPB funding. $208k current budget so would need additional ~$98k to reach Level B

    5. Bring to board – What is bare minimum for CPB, and what is required minimum for grants? [Cleveland]

  2. Development director

    1. Joe – does development director need to be on Finance Committee?

    2. Mark – let Dorothy know where numbers are and ask if she wants to be on the Committee

  3. Lotus Fund Drive recap

    1. Received $9k, but up $1k (estimate)

    2. Cleveland to make call to Lotus tomorrow and get with Jim on how we can get rest of tickets off our hands.

  4. Development Director update

    1. Dorothy Granger hired and working. Meeting and greeting everyone.

    2. Lotus CDs at Spring Hill and BCT Box Office ($6/$4 split, $.90 to make)

    3. Weekly 1-1 meetings for a development plan.

    4. Participating in conversation with Youth Services Bureau grant

    5. Raymond Foundation grant too

    6. Honda Foundation grant

  5. Audit vs Translator from board (see #1 previous)

New business / Strategic

  1. Credit card: Mark – look for better CC with better rates and incentives

Review monthly statements

  1. Analyze current finance

    1. Good chance of meeting budget for Membership Inc and Underwriting

    2. Follies brought in $550

    3. More than 55 people so seems the tickets were sold at less value (?)

    4. Development director money has not appeared yet

    5. Expense issues

      1. Advertising = Joe Lamantia work from last year

      2. Internet services = verizon account not yet closed

      3. Dues & Subscriptions = old bill from last year PRX

      4. Accounting = budgeted for audit

      5. Engineering = power supplies

      6. Building = HVAC

      7. Computer supplies = Grant money from BCCF for equipment for BC Hour

      8. Office = Printer expense and toner

  2. Highlights for board

    1. Cleveland – Close to actual budget on a very ambitious budget

    2. Mark – Concerns on angel donors bringing in money

    3. All – Concerns on audit – need details, etc. to make an informed decision

    4. Mark/Joe – Flip Lotus tickets into a positive – give to vols, donors, partners, etc.

Adjourn 7:10pm

Policy Committee Meeting Minutes – September 8, 2014

Present: Richard Fish, Cleveland Dietz, Markus Lowe, William Morris (Joe Estivill sat in too)

Absent: Hondo Thompson

  1. First question was how much the WFHB Organizational Chart should entail? i.e. should committees be on the chart? If committees are on the chart, does that imply they have authority within the Line of Authority?  Is it veto power?  Advisory role?
    1. What position did Board reach regarding Committees and their place on the organizational chart?  Are committees advisory or something else?
    2. RF asked “what do News Director and Music Director think?”
    3. CD: At first, Committees had review control, i.e. review shows/programs for air-ability.  The News Committees (Public Affairs impact) screen shows to present to Alycin.  In Music, however, has been different.
    4. ML: Bottom-line question: should we add Committees to the Org. Chart or not?  Does their presence on the chart reflect a hierarchy?  Is Cleveland a tie-breaker?

CD: The situation (tie-breaking) has never arisen, but it’s good to have a mechanism.

RF: Is News Director head of News Committee? And, is Music Director head of Music Committee? No.

CD:  Having Committees on chart is a good visual aide to see where committees are in the overall construct of Organization.

ML:  There are times when Committees work parallel with GM, or the Board can put Committees anywhere on the chart that they want.

  1. Question of Committee Names, ie changing “Production Volunteers” to “Production Volunteers Staff”
  2. GJ/RF: distinguishing between “Volunteer Staff” and “Volunteer Supervisor Staff”

REVIEWING CHART

  1. Production Manager      – okay
  2. Development Director   – okay
  3. Facilities Committee       – okay
  4. CHANGES – i.     “Fundraising Committee up to spot between Development Director and

Facilities Committee”

  1.                       ii.      Change “Production Volunteers” (under Production Manager) to “Production

Volunter Staff”

  1. Music Director – i. use “DJ” (not programmer)
    1. change “Live Music Production” to “Live Production Engineer”

iii. add another line under “Live Production Enginner”: “Library Volunteer Staff”

  1. News and Public Affairs Committee and News Director are next to other              – okay

i.On line under News Director there’s a question of how “producers, reporters, and engineers” should be structured, but different shows are structured different ways …. So, maybe call them “NPAC Volunteer Staff” … same with the “Music Volunteer Staff” and do away with distinctions.  Final chart would reflect “News Director” down to “Producers” down to “NPAC Volunteer Staff”

ACTION:  Cleveland will make changes and re-circulate

  1. Job Descriptions – Richard re-formated and merged info in suggested descriptions – BIG help
    1. a.       General Manager

i.      IB – Under “Personnel Management” GM does not really recruit, choose and appoint volunteers.  In fact, all paid staff perform this job.

ii.      RF added 4th “qualification” – “Experience with, and a good working knowledge of….” – okay

iii.      Under “Supervisory Relationships” – The word “all”; GM doesn’t have to “train” and “supervise” – just see that volunteer activity gets done

iv.      JE: who follows up with underwriters?  Billing?

-GM is ultimately responsible to see that matters pertaining to fund-raising; s/he can delegate as s/he sees appropriate.

v.   #7(c). – trying to add something regarding interaction/dealings with Landlord.

Question: should language be generalized to cover “works with appropriate

representatives to maintain compliance with all leased property.”

vi.#8(c) – superfluous comma at end

vii.  Question: to what extent does GM “oversee volunteer meetings”?  Is this a

personnel management item (under Section 1), i.e. “ensures that volunteer

membership meetings are held as required by station by-laws and policies.”

viii.  ML: re-checking old GM description to be sure “duties and responsibilities”

have been incorporated into this new description.

 

  1. b.      Development Director – content okay, but we may change format.

 

  1. Question: Can things be done off-line?  Should we meet every two weeks?

Agreement:  Let’s try and do more online.  We only have three more positions to consider – Development Director, Production Manager and Chief Engineer.

  1.  Ahead:  two other positions and grievance procedure.

Finance Committee Minutes – August 20, 2014

Present:

  • Cleveland
  • Markus
  • Sara
  • Jean

Formation of committee roles:

  • Brief introductions by all around
  • Markus established as Secretary
  • Jean established as Chair

Finance experience:

Cleveland began by asking if we had any previous experience with Finance Committee?

  • Mark – no experience other than previous as a GM
  • Sara – has experience with Youth Services Bureau working as finance manager and member of Finance Committee IACAR
  • Jean – no experience

Current process

Look at the current budget process and accounting processes:

  • Current budget was created by Joe (acting board treasurer), Sara (finance committee), and Cleveland
  • Budgets are approved by Board
  • FY 2014 is June 1, 2014 to May 31, 2015
  • Accounting process
    • Use Quickbooks software matched to budget
    • Put in monthly expenses
    • Reconcile each month
    • Quarterly taxes and annual taxes through Stanfly (sp?) Accounting
      • $150 every 3 months
      • $1000 for annual submission

Duties of committee

Discussion on what role we thing the committee should play, beyond the stated/defined goal in the committee document.

  • Sara – Noted that Committee and report usually includes Highlights of finance / areas of interest, strategic planning of finance, and discrepancies in the budget
  • Cleveland – Favors highlights over line by line reports
  • Mark – agreed
  • Cleveland – one duty is analyzing data; another is financial guidance/oversight
  • Sara – strategic financial planning; looking at the horizon
  • Cleveland – concerned of a really large expense, transmitter outage, etc.
  • Jean – in favor of establishing a “rainy day” fund to account for this concern/risk
  • Mark – we don’t have to budget for zero, we can budget for a surplus
  • Sara – noted other organizations have looked at how many months of operating cost they want to cover for rainy day and try to quantify that

Budget walkthrough

Cleveland explained the current budget aspects

  • Not a whole lot of modification from last year
  • Additions include: Extra staff for dev director, furnace replacement, and independent audit
  • Offset by increase in underwriting from dev director work to be realized
  • Almost everything else is based off last year’s expense

Budget observations

  • Mark – We could reduce Program Fees to offset some costs and move the Asst News Director to restricted fees
  • Translator purchase – $4-$5k replacement – Was not budgeted for
    • Jean – Can we write a grant for another item and move money to translator
    • Mark – could we swap audit for translator?
    • Sara – we should bring before the board “audit vs translator” and ask for priority
    • Cleveland – Development director candidate backed out; Making second offer to #2 candidate
    • Mark – concerns about pay for Dev Director with only half of salary secured
    • Cleveland – Dev Director can do corporate sponsorship and more concerted focus on underwriting; Approx 6 months of pay reserved from grants

Next meeting agenda draft:

  • Old Business
    • Lotus Fund Drive recap
    • Development Director upate
    • Audit vs Translator from board
    • Review monthly statements
      • Analyze current finance
      • Highlights for board
      • Strategic planning
        • Budgeting for the future
        • Capital needs – equipment lifecycles; ServeIT perpetuation plan
        • Grants

Policy Committee Meeting Minutes – August 11, 2014

Meeting begins at 5:15pm

Chair: Hondo – on track and on time

Secretary: William Morris

Organization:

  • Chair election:
    • Rich Motion to elect Hondo as Chair
    • Mark second
    • Unanimous decision
    • Secretary election:
      • Rich motion to elect William as Secretary
      • Hondo second
      • Unanimous decision
      • Recommendations
        • Secretary William will be responsible for submitting recommendations to the Board
        • Cleveland motion
        • Rich second
        • Unanimous decision

Strategic Plan > Best practices: Discussion on best practices

  • Cleveland – by laws revision are tedious/rigid
    • Being clear but being able to be flexible
    • Rich – historically why are bylaws rigid? Back then we were wary of station independence and wanted to give the volunteers the power. Felt there was considerable danger that the organization would be “over taken” from an outside party.
    • Kirby – example is 3 board members elected per cycle
    • Cleveland – only 40 members when bylaws were created. Much easier to get ¼ of members involved. Much easier to get approval. Would like to see clear guidelines that are flexible to update.
    • Mark – flexible sound like Guidelines as opposed to Policy
    • Cleveland will look for any research from Strategic Plan on “Best Practices”

Scope and timeline:

  • 1. By laws revision
    • Any changes that may affect Governance document
    • Any areas where clarity is needed
    • Timeline: Look at ByLaws in Feb, present to Board in April, for vote to membership in May
    • 2. Governance document revision
      • Employee job descriptions
      • Organizational structure
      • Timeline: Cleveland present Job Descriptions and Org chart in Sept meeting, Board vote end of September
      • Then tackle other areas of priority

Other comments

  • Mark: Break into digestible chunks for Governance Document and present recommendations to the Board each month
  • Rich: Clear and simple language where possible
  • Strive for 1 week of minutes approval, and Cleveland post to Web

6:05pm adjourn

  • Cleveland motion
  • Rich second
  • Motion passes

Executive Committee Meeting Minutes – August 11, 2014

Executive Committee Meeting

August 11, 2014

Present:  Joe Estivill, Markus Lowe, Cleveland Dietz, Kelly Wherley (recorder).

  1. First order of business is to change the time of the meeting.  We’ll be meeting at 6:15pm from here on out on the second Monday of the month.
  2. Second order of business is to establish that minutes have to be taken for all the board committee meetings.  Board Secretary Kelly Wherley is taking care of it for the Executive Committee.
  3. Third order of business is the setting of the agenda.  Cleveland distributed the July 28th BoD agenda and we discussed it.  The chronology of some of the items was discussed.  Reports will follow a President, Treasurer, GM chronology.  Committee Reports will follow an Executive, Finance, and Policy chronology.  Various facets of each remaining item and completion/report updates were stated and we adjusted the agenda accordingly.  The August 25th, 2014 agenda is attached at the end of these minutes.  The Ivy Tech Green Space discussions are progressing and a breakfast chat is going to take place on Tuesday, August 26th, at 8:30am.  Cleveland is attending along with the Ivy Tech Chancellor and the Facilities Manager.  Markus Lowe, even though it’s his birthday, is going to attend as well as a Board representative.
  4. New agenda items included Summary Reports from the News Summit.  We’re looking at it from an operational and not a governance aspect, so whatever changes Alycin might enact, they don’t necessarily need Board approval, but it would be nice to know what some of the initiatives are.  We’d also like Scott Hutchinson, the new Development Director, to come in and meet the Board.  We’re only going to have one meeting before the Fall Fund Drive so Board participation on the fund drive is going to be included and we’re also going to discuss the quarterly meeting.  Cleveland is going to ask members of the board to record individual pleas for fund-raising that would ostensibly air throughout the year.
  5. On the report front, we’re going to really push for Board members to read all the reports before the meeting.  That will negate the need for a bunch of printed copies and allow for more time to discuss other board business.  Board members will be allowed to ask any questions about the reports during the review process.  Finance reports will include any narratives or explanations for any discrepancies in finances or other contingencies that are common from month to month.
  6. Cleveland motions to adjourn at 6:59pm and Markus seconds.  Meeting adjourned.

WFHB BOARD OF DIRECTORS

BOARD AGENDA FOR AUGUST 25th, 2014

Hooker Conference Room, #245, City Hall

201 N. Morton St., Bloomington, IN

  1. CALL TO ORDER / ATTENDANCE OF BOARD MEMBERS
  2. REVIEW / APPROVAL OF MINUTES
  3. PRESIDENT’S REPORT
  4. TREASURER’S REPORT
  5. GENERAL MANAGER’S REPORT REVIEW
  6. COMMITTEE REPORTS
    1. Executive Committee
    2. Finance Committee
    3. Policy Committee
  7. OLD BUSINESS
    1. Board of Directors’ Operations Manual
    2. CATS / News Department
    3. Status of Development Director
    4. Equipment Audit
    5. Guideline for making local purchases
    6. Marketing Committee Proposal
    7. Ivy Tech Green Space – Speakers
  8. NEW BUSINESS
    1. Cleveland Dietz application to Leadership Bloomington-Monroe County
    2. News Summit Report
    3. Development Director
    4. Quarterly Meeting
    5. Fund Drive

News and Public Affairs Committee: June 19, 2014

Present: Helen Harell, Sarah Ryterband, Maria McKinley, Alycin Bektesh, Kelly Miller and Cynthia R Hall

In preliminary comment section Maria stated that the WFHB board is reviewing governance documents which could effect the number of board members per committee * [by-laws must also be revisited]

7:14 Director’s report

Need to determine if those present wished to continue as committee members. All agreed to do so.

Sarah was unanimously selected as Chair. The decision was made to have a rotating secretary.

Cynthia took minutes to be followed next meeting by Helen.

We will not have regular meeting in July but plan to hold an open house to meet those involved with the News Summit. Tentatively suggested it be held July 11 at the Back Door. Will confirm date through email.

We were given a sneak preview of the set-up for the News Summit, Main categories are Mission, Governance, Programming, Recruitment and Training and Facilities and Equipment.  Week one: Look at where we’re at, week two :What is the ideal, week 3: Action Plan, week 4: Implementation. Alycin requested that each NPAC member volunteer for at least one hour as a moderator during the summit.  All present agreed

Program reviews. Voices in the Street was green lighted. It received 3.6 overall and received mostly 3′s & 4′s. There was some discussion about how to expand the role of the interviewer and the continual need for staff.

Community Public Radio received a 3.7 for quality but ranged from 2′s -5′s in overall response. It was green lighted with the suggestion to still be on the lookout for possible substitutions in the future.

We revisited Market Live and the possibility of moving out of the News Programming arena into being produced by the incoming Development director.

Next regular meeting will be August 21 at 7pm.

Submitted by Cynthia R Hall

Annual Meeeting Minutes: June 7, 2014

WFHB Bloomington Community Radio

Annual Volunteer Meeting, June 7, 2014

Monroe County Historical Society Conference Room

The annual volunteer meeting of WFHB Community Radio is called to order at 12:27 p.m. by General Manager Cleveland Dietz.   The number of participating members present is 54 with an additional 29 represented in absentia for a total of 83 participating members in attendance.  According to the station’s bylaws, 34 participating members need to be present for a quorum based on the percentage of total members.  These numbers are provided by Carolyn VandeWiele who is tracking attendance and will be counting votes.  A quorum is established at the 2014 annual meeting.

Cleveland thanks everyone for their attendance today and also their level of engagement at the station this past year.  He states  each Board candidate will be given three minutes to make a statement and then questions will be taken if directed to a particular candidate.  He asks Markus Lowe to begin.

Markus Lowe: I’ve been a long time volunteer and a former general manager.  I work in IT support at Cook Medical which is really a customer service job.  This is how I come to the Board. How can I help?  How can we make it better?  I look forward to engaging volunteers on that level of participation.  I want to be a representative for the volunteers, to be a voice for the volunteers.  I will be an active advocate for positive change and a voice for the volunteers.

William Morris:  You know me as Brother William - I came to WFHB 5 years ago.  I work with international students at IU and was looking for places to have these students volunteer.  I started volunteering as a desk jockey.  The station means a lot to me.  I treat my volunteering as a job, like a wonderful job.  I would take my duties as a Board director as a job, being accountable. I am an encourager and I believe in the station, in volunteering, in inclusiveness.  I will give the station the best three years of my life.

Maryll Jones:  I am no longer involved with the Friends of WFHB.  I am a recording analyst for Pearson Education.  My biggest strength has been establishing better customer relations when people come for support issues.  I have been able to establish a rapport with customers that didn’t exist before. I would like to utilize those skills in this role as a Board member.  It would be a huge mistake if Markus Lowe and Kelly Wherley were not put in their positions.

Benjamin Loudermilk:  I am a Bloomington native.  I work in the public school system as an educator at North High School.  My wife is a teacher at University Elementary and my kids are students at MCCSC.  I have been involved with the arts community for over 30 years.  I’m an IU alumnus.  I’m excited for the opportunity to be on the Board.  WFHB is part of the community and part of the arts community.

Kelly Wherley:  (out of town, Cathi Norton reads his statement which are excerpts from his bio)  I have volunteered for WFHB for over ten years, as a DLN anchor, as a producer for Voices in the Street  and am now the volunteer coordinator since 2011.  I’m seeking election to the Board of Directors because I care about the station.  I’ve seen quite a few changes at the station over the course of my time here and feel ready to assume a more integral and influential role in the discussions, plans and actions that will impact the course of WFHB.

Questions from the audience to specific candidates:

For Brother William:  With over 200 volunteers, we’re not all the same.  If a change was going to be made, could we tailor the volunteer tasks, can we fine tune the volunteerism business?    I’ve sent a lot of younger people to the station to volunteer and they have a different interest in the station than I do.  I wonder if there is a way of accountability, to create teams of volunteers to work together that have the same interests instead of such a large group.

For Benjamin: What do you see yourself doing for the station?  I think fundraising specifically. I would be excited to work through that process.  And facilities management is a traditional fit where I could also help out. 

For Brother Morris:  What would be your way of reaching out to the IU campus when the students come back in August?   Interviewing freshman students as they come onto campus.  Can we give out some of those free CDs?  Set up a table, have informational booklets, send that around the community. We can do a better job of getting WFHB on the minds of those students.  An ad in the paper.

For Markus: How can you reach out to the volunteers who do not come to the volunteer meetings?  Participation.  If you want to be heard and your input received and respected, please participate, speak up.

Cleveland reminds the PMs, that, at this time, if you have not signed in, please do so at the back table and pick up a ballot.  We’ll go ahead and vote now. We will proceed with the regular meeting and will interrupt when they’re done counting.

Board President Joe Estivill Board Report:

Thank you for your attendance today and thank you to all the volunteers. We have an incredible News Department and Music Department.  Thank you to all the people who work on the committees that make the decisions that affect our organization.  We have 3 Board members moving on:  Richard Fish, Carolyn VandeWiele, and Matt Pierce.  Thank you to all of you for your service.

About the Development Director, this is someone who’s job will be to develop our fundraising base.  The job is posted, interviews will start in July and hopefully we will have them on board in August.  We have found three angel donors to donate $5,000 each for 2 years of support.  Please forward to us the names of other donors you think would help with this type of support.

It’s going to be a big year here at the station.  There is new energy, we’re working toward our strategic plan, part of which is hiring a new Development Director.   We would like to have more social events so our participating members can get together, can get to know each other better.

Financial report from Cleveland Dietz:

Fiscal year 2013, we made $255,000 -  $103,000 came from membership donations, $75,000 from grants, underwriting brought in $47,000,  $16,000 from special events, CATS $10,000  and $3,000 came in randomly throughout the year.  We also spent $255,000 so we pretty much broke even.  For expenses:  wages are a little more than half our budget, then health insurance and property insurance, workmen’s comp which covers all of you.  Other expenses come from fundraising, programming, supplies, utilities, and special events.

I’m excited about getting a Development Director.  We’ve been stagnating in terms of revenue for the last five years, hovering around $250,000.  Clearly we need help to get over that hump somehow A Development Director will be of significant help. The good news is that over the last 5 years, we’ve spent about the same.

Our CPB (Corporation for Public Broadcasting) grant – it’s a government grant that supplies a little less than 1/3 of our total revenue.  It’s a significant grant which we rely on and it’s going to be getting a little harder each year to get that money from the government.

We want this year to be an investment year to get us over the $300,000 hump (revenue).  We’re planning our first WFHB independent audit from a third party.  This is good practice but also a really common question when pursuing grants.  A Development Director will provide us an individual who is a constant presence that can follow up with leads and contacts and give us some underwriting stability.

You’ll be glad to know that the furnace and air conditioning unit will be replaced this week and it should be 25% more efficient than what we currently had.

Looking forward, we have an ambitious budget but it allows us to be flexible.

We will be posting on the website my GM reports and the finance reports each month as part of the Board Minutes.

General Manager Cleveland Dietz:

Looking back over this past year, we’ve made some serious efforts on the Board of Directors front.  We have drafted a Board of Directors Handbook.  There is a Board of Directors Commitment Form we’ve worked on and was just voted and approved at the last Board meeting.  We filled the remaining three seats on the Board in January so we’re back up to nine Board members.

We’ve made communication changes with the help of Markus and Kelly by re- instituting the volunteer monthly meetings that provide an outlet for volunteer voices, and we’ve seen the launch of our new quarterly eNewsletter.  We’re into the final launch of our new website design.  Board and committee meeting minutes are being posted on the website and soon, our financial reports will also be posted as a public display for what WFHB is doing and how we are spending our money.

We partnered with a SPEA class to write a grant proposing a new health show to replace Zorba.  We are still looking for angel donors to support the new Development Director.  Having a Development Director will provide us with significant progress on regular grant writing.  SPEA offers a fellowship program which would give us a 10 hour/week IU student at no cost to us once we employ a professional Development Director.  The new Development Director will give us a constant presence with underwriting sales.  We’ll have better management and use of our donor database and we’ll be able to provide consistent promotion and outreach.

We will be adding upgrades to our facilities this next week – HVAC replacement including AC, and significant technical upgrades for the Internet and the network.

We will be initiating an independent audit from a third party accounting firm.  This is a good practice and it’s been too long since this has happened.  This also better enables us to pursue grants.

Music Director Jim Manion:

(Jim reads the names of all 90 volunteer DJs).

Thank you DJs!  Special thanks to all who sub for their fellow DJs!  Thanks to all genre directors and CD reviewers.  Thanks to the desk jockeys who open the mail daily.

Thank you Acoustic Roots Festival volunteers!

Hondo Thompson, Rick Fettig, Sarah Ryterband , Mike McAfee Jim Manion, Kelsey Lynn Wagoner, Dan Withered, Reina Wong, Erin Tobey, Ryder Timberlake,  Joe Crawford, William Morris, Kelly Kish, Reina Wong, Linda Cajigas, Darin Bagley, Dan Young, Kathy Romy, WFHB MC: Hondo Thompson; Festival Income Manager: Emily Jackson (cash); Cleveland Dietz (online); Merch Area Manager: Catherine Anders; Shift Volunteer Coordinator: Sheryl Mitchell; Recording Manager: Jim Lang; Volunteer Coordinator: Kelly Wherley; Green Room Manager: Tracy Johnson

The latest edition of our DJ guidelines is ready along with the annual DJ contract which needs to be signed.  Copies will be available at the Station and for those who are not here today, they will receive them digitally. These contracts are due back to me. They need to be filled out and signed as part of our FCC and federal guidelines.

Besides the constant adventure of daily operations…. Since last June… Lotus CD 3 was completed with the help of Michael McDowell.  Lotus 2014 brought us an unprecedented 11 Lotus Live sessions, great back line and engineering. All sessions were posted to the website.  Local Live CD 4 was completed with the help of Nicole O’Neal.

There was quite a contentious period last fall and thanks to all, the air time remained positive.   We don’t put our dirty laundry on the air.  I attended 2 powerhouse conferences this year – South by Southwest which has good potential for a live show here; And the WXPN Non-Comm meeting.

Looking ahead: Lotus CD 4 is in production, Adriane Pontecorvo as co- producer.

I am producing a split benefit for WFHB and Community Kitchen to be held on July 18th at the Bluebird called, “Tim and Jim’s Most Excellent Birthday Party.”  Come on out and help us celebrate our birthdays.

This summer’s Library Project – we’ll be doing serious purging and maintenance in the WFHB Music Library.  This is way overdue.  We can use some help with this.

Fall Fund Drive 2014 and Lotus 2014 are coming up.

A technical goal: Find the best way to time-shift 2 hr mp3 recordings of all WFHB Music programs, available to stream for 2 weeks at program schedule page of the website. I heard talk at the meeting about on-air tip jars which brings in $2,000 to $3,000 for some stations.  We should look into this.

A few overall comments:  huge outpouring of support last fall, seems like we had a lot of bad weather friends, you know, the ones who show up in bad times, but – we need you every day.  I would like to see more engagement and less email flame wars and more of an appreciation for our daily station operations.  “I don’t care about the station, I only care about my show.”  I’ve heard that some DJs have said this.  But without the station, they wouldn’t have a show.  We need to improve the general lack of understanding and appreciation of the environment of daily broadcast operations.  Better advance planning is needed while maintaining spontaneous air sound qualities.

I am looking forward to how our efforts will be supported by a full-time Development Director, which I think is an important priority. I hope this includes a hard look at our HR policies and finding ways to improve the employment environment at WFHB.

Next week is our Firehouse fundraiser at the Back Door.

News Department Alycin Bektesh:

Today, I’m also talking on behalf of Joe Crawford, the assistant News Director, and Jar Turner who works for the whole station.  Jar posts to the website all of the shows to get beyond their live broadcast times.  I want to thank them for all their hard work this past year.  Last year: Brown County Hour, Bloomington Beware, The Porch Swing and Books Unbound – all came under the News Department.  These shows are all doing better than ever.   Taking on those four additional shows have added an extra load but I’m proud as these shows are at the top of their game. Brown County Hour is monthly and doing well.  Bloomington Beware has a staff of three writers who are getting their show “in” a  week ahead of time.  The Porch Swing is on summer break.  We had two great events at The Bishop and we’ll be setting up a booth for 1st Friday gallery walks, inviting people to stop by to tell a story.  Books Unbound is now an hour long show on every Sunday.  It’s hard to get engaged in the reading when it’s a 30 minute show with all the commercial and announcement breaks so the hour format works much better.  PRX picks up this show more often than any other show we produce.

We were winners at the Indiana SPJ Awards again – for best newscast, best breaking news (Todd Young and climate change), best continuing coverage (shelter and homelessness in Bloomington, no low barrier summer shelter for substance abuse users), best public affairs (Trayvon Martin discussion on Bring It On), best documentary (Hoagy Carmichael special on Interchange).

About the new website & camera – love it!  The video camera allows us to distribute our content in another format.  The website is awesome.  Now, you can “pin” it, “like” it, “love” it, “share” it, watch it, read it, and listen to it.  You need to share WFHB programming.  Use social media to get the word out about our amazing product.

Looking Forward:  The News Summit will be held during all of July.  I have lots of ideas like how to get more exposure on campus, recruitment and training.  Are we representing our community?  There is not any time to evaluate the shows while we’re still producing them so we needed to suspend all 20 NPA shows. We will answer the questions “what do we want to do and how can we do it best?”

A committee has been meeting to plan the organization of the Summit and what we want to happen during the Summit.  Week 1 will be about introductions and to gather information;   Week 2 will be our brainstorming week;  Week 3 we’ll be discussing the practicalities of the ideas we talked about the previous week;  Week 4  we’ll start the  “doing”, the implementation of the ideas.  Going forward, the News Summit can be a week long project that we implement each year to evaluate ourselves.

WFHB Awards:

News Department:         Legacy Award -                         Lucille Bertuccio

News Rookie of the year -          Doug Storm

Newshound of the year –            Drew Daudelin

Music Department:        Distinguished Service Award –    Mike Kelsey

Legacy Award –                                     Nicole O’Neal

DJ of the year -                         Liza Pavelich

Genre of the year –                    Cathi Norton

 

Board Member of the year -       Joe Estivill

Volunteer of the year -               Dan Withered

Congratulations to the new Board Members:  William Morris, Markus Lowe, Kelly Wherley

Public Comments:

When are we going to get a new digital Board?

Cleveland:  One of my goals with the Raymond Foundation Grant is to engage Harmony School students and to connect them with Industry Standard Equipment

Markus:  Reminder, the 2nd Friday of the month:  6-10 pm at the BackDoor  (volunteer meetings are held from 6-7 pm)

Richard Fish:  We’ll be running some new wiring at the station – I’m on the IT committee, next Saturday, June 14th, we could use volunteers to help with this project.

Alycin:  Volunteers are needed to moderate discussions during News Summit.

Have you come up with a method to log in volunteer hours:

Cleveland:  The volunteer committee has worked to come up with a solution as to how to log in volunteer hours.  We’re going to place a laptop in the lobby that has a spreadsheet to log in your hours. You can also log in your time remotely.

On Sunday mornings, I would like to have a little less “live” reads.  And can we take a look at how we do our regularly scheduled items, i.e. calendar, PSAs?

Cleveland:  We can take a look at that towards the end of the year.

Can we change the wording from the underwriting scripts as there can be awkward phrasing and word choices?

Cleveland: Let me know if you’re having a problem so I can take a look at it and possibly fix it.

Nicole O’Neal thanks everyone for helping her throughout her time at the station.

Joe Estivill asks for a round of applause for our new GM Cleveland Dietz.

A volunteer asks for a round of applause for the awesome WFHB staff.

The June 2014 annual meeting ends at 2:15 pm.

Scroll To Top