Please see below for job description. Those interested in applying for the position should send a cover letter and resume to email@example.com no later than 5 p.m., June 30, 2014.
Works with General Manager, Board of Directors, Staff, and Volunteers to raise funds for WFHB. Contacts businesses to solicit underwriting. Identifies, contacts, and cultivates individuals to solicit multi-year pledges of annual support. Cultivation of business owners and individuals includes tours of the station, engagement of select donors and prospects with volunteer opportunities, speaks in public venues, and other public relation activities. Assist station grant writers with identification of sources and development of ideas. Works with General Manager and Board of Directors to identify, cultivate, and solicit individuals for planned gifts that will increase endowment. Prepares and processes thank you letters to underwriters and individuals. Organizes appropriate donor recognition events including lunches, dinners, annual meeting, and others.
Reports to and under the supervision of the General Manager. The Development Director provides leadership for development activities including underwriting, major gifts (multi-year pledges from individuals), and planned gifts.
1. Identifies, contacts, and solicits business for on-air underwriting.
2. Identifies, contacts, cultivates, and solicits individuals for multi-year annual gifts.
3. Works with General Manager and Board of Directors to identify, contact, cultivate, and solicit individuals for planned gifts.
4. Develops marketing materials for underwriting, individual, and planned giving.
5. Provides assistance to station grant writers in identifying possible funding sources and developing ideas.
6. Keeps accurate records of contacts with businesses and individuals.
7. Develops individualized plans to cultivate and solicit individual donors.
8. Provides recognitions for donors and stewardship over donor gifts.
9. Works in conjunction with the General Manager, Staff, and Board of Directors to ensure that all activities are implemented and that follow-up assessments are conducted.
10. Inputs data and maintains data on underwriting and individuals in computer tracking system.
11. Assists the General Manager in developing, implementing, and tracking semiannual fund drives.
12. Keeps the General Manager informed of progress, problems, and possible areas of improvement in fundraising.
13. Other duties as assigned by the General Manager.
Skills, knowledge, and abilities.
1. Evidence of broad knowledge, understanding, and well-developed skills in fundraising.
2. Computer literate. Strong computer skills a plus.
3. Proven ability to communicate effectively through oral presentation, written word, and graphic displays.
4. Mature judgment in analyzing and interpreting financial potential and evaluating prospective donors.
5. Ability to effectively prioritize tasks.
6. Ability to accomplish objectives through individual and cooperative efforts.
Training or Equivalent Qualifying Experience
Bachelor degree in nonprofit management or related field and either 1 year work experience in fundraising or 2 years work experience in related area; or combination of education and experience that provides the equivalent.