Call to Order
Present: Alycin Bektesh, Sarah Ryterband, Kelly Miller, Maria McKinley, Helen Harrell
Absent: Carolyn VandeWiele, Alex Lichtenstein, Cynthia Roberts-Hall
News Director’s Report
Democracy Now! now comes in through an audio port. While broadcasting Democracy Now! is improved by this, it potentially creates an issue in transitioning from in-house segments to the program as both are played off the computer and the audio port plays a high-pitched tone until the show goes live. Offered the idea of moving them to 9 a.m. to take the place of the second-run Hightower. Ultimately decided that its best not to rearrange program schedule but to, instead, switch medium that segments are played out of. Teach traffic and 6 – 8 a.m. programmers how to do this.
Need Newsies Guidelines
Would help for volunteers to understand their place within the department. Need job descriptions for all positions, including show producers, helps hold people accountable and easier then to take action when people aren’t living up to their roles. Would be nice to have a welcome letter from NPAC, maybe instructional video so new news volunteers get to know some of the other people they may see in the station, understand NPAC liaison system and requirements such as Quarterly and Annual Meetings.
NPAC Minutes Violation
Already solved during committee comment. Minutes responsibility moved away from Carolyn VandeWiele and on to monthly attendee. Carolyn must still get us up to date on past meetings.
I’m Homeless Series
“I’m Homeless” series running with good feedback form the community and the homeless.
Program Review: Brown County Hour
- Needs spontaneity/naturalness in interviews and other segments.
- Speak to those outside the “in crowd” of Brown County
- Issue of advocacy – better to remain journalistic and use advocacy in other ways – call out for volunteers for environmental organizations or have a regular Brown County update on EcoReport.
- If we want to be more ergular, maybe could add in news items or segments to the Daily Local News.
- Underwriting sounds too much like an advertisement.
- Try to involve youth in the programming
Committee Vote: Green Light, on annual review track for March 2015
Program Review: Activate!
- Has strayed from mission of encouraging others to volunteer in the community by including employees and those without passion as guests
- Can’t be an infomercial for an organization
- Needs to be about the volunteer, why they want to volunteer, why they chose that organization, what difference it has made to those they’ve helped and to themselves
- NPAC acknowledges that often times it is the staff trying to make sure the volunteers represent them perfectly, so try to control the interview. Perhaps better to approach volunteers, not organizations, through contact lists like the “Be More” nominations.
Committee Vote: Yellow Light, comments to producer from Helen, three month follow-up with Jennifer attending June 2014
Approval of Minutes
All vote yea
Next meeting is scheduled for April 17.
Carolyn VandeWiele is liaison. Shows to be reviewed: Volunteer Connection, An Organic Conversation