Home > Posts > Meetings > Board Minutes: April 28, 2014
Board Minutes: April 28, 2014

Board Minutes: April 28, 2014

Read

Balance Sheet: March 2014

Profit & Loss: March 2014

Budget vs. Actual To-Date Fiscal Year 2013-2014

CALL TO ORDER

7:07 p.m.

ATTENDANCE OF BOARD MEMBERS

Board members present: Joe Estivill, Carolyn VandeWiele, Richard Fish, Richard Reardin, Sheryl Mitchell, Matt Pierce, Maria McKinley, Cleveland Dietz

Absent: Louis Malone, Pam Davidson

Participating Members present: Darin Bagley, Reina Wong

Staff: Alycin Bektesh

REVIEW/APPROVAL OF MINUTES

Motion to approve was made by Rich R (April 9) via email and tonight seconded by Sheryl.

Adjournment time of last month’s meeting is agreed to be 10:00 p.m. Minutes are approved by unanimous vote. Richard F states he has comments and will discuss these at a later time.

GENERAL MANAGER’S REPORT

Spring Fund Drive as of tonight has reached 96% of our goal, ($44265.74) with an additional $4,000 raised in day sponsorships (underwriting). The budget team will meet tomorrow at 6:00 p.m. (Cleveland, Joe, Sarah Borden). Joe invites board members to attend.

Cleveland anticipates a significant increase in health/vision/dental coverage, approximately $2035/month, and there are major purchases in our future: furnace, 2 new computers, a transmitter, digital equipment. MCPL, CATS, and WFHB: Renovations at the library have included space and phone lines for WFHB news volunteers; collaborating with CATS could make us eligible for more money from CPB; logistics still need to be discussed if there is to be a move to the library. Joe recommends we talk with volunteers who are involved with the news department before any decisions are made.

Development Director: Cleveland met with Meri Reinhold, the executive director at MCUM about her ideas for moving forward with our hiring of a development director. Meri tells us we could apply for a SPEA fellowship at a cost of $600 and receive a grad student for 10 hours/week/semester. The GM and DD could attend the IU School of Philanthropy courses although there is a cost for that. Scholarships are available from IU and if IU chips in, the MCCF could help with funds. Meri’s experience tells us we would need to offer $33K salary or share a DD with another organization so a DD could get full time work. Joe suggests we find another angel donor to bring the salary up.

Rich F has talked with Al Lyons outside of Al’s presentation last month and Rich says Al does not see that we need a DD and that it might cost us more in salary for a DD than the money we would be able to raise using a DD. Cleveland says Meri told him that it took a few years after they hired a DD but that it was worth it.

WFHB is a media sponsor for both the John Hartford Memorial Festival (in Bean Blossom) and GnawBrew, a craft beer festival in Gnaw Bone, as part of our on-going efforts to expand our base outside of Bloomington.

The station now has a Square account to take credit card payments at events. We are exploring ways to use it beyond plugging it into an iPhone or iPad, including web sales.

Acoustic Roots Festival has already recouped its production budget in sponsors. All tickets sales will be actual funds raised.

Johrdan Vicstein is moving to Indy and we’ve been talking about getting our updates done before he leaves.

Cleveland has reworded a statement from the employee’s handbook that allows the News Director to supervise the Assistant News Director. Richard F makes a motion to accept the new wording, Matt seconds the motion and it passes unanimously.

TREASURER’S REPORT

We are still waiting for $24K from the CPB grant and the $4K underwriting has not dropped into the account. As a result, the Budget does not reflect the $28K we are waiting for.

For next year, we expect wage expenses will be higher and insurance costs will be at least $24K.

We will close our GoDaddy account. On the Budget vs Actual spreadsheet: income lines are not where they should be because we are waiting on money as previously described above.

OLD BUSINESS

Policy Committee (bylaws need to be rewritten)

A flexible governing document will allow for the unpredictability of the future of technology. Joe suggests we start with 3-4 people who will look at the by-laws for obvious changes. An ad hoc committee is suggested and Rich F suggests we have Al Lyons look at the by-laws to see if there are some red flags of where we need to be more flexible or more structured. That could be a reasonable start before reconfiguring the entire document. Rich F will ask Al for his opinion.

Database for fundraising – tabled until we have a DD who can work with Cleveland and Pam on this project.

Board Operations Manual – committee to review the BOM with the idea of having this finished up by the June elections. Rich F and Cleveland agree to work on this. They will check with Louis and/or Joe to see if they are also available and Joe suggests we make an announcement on the BOD email for other volunteers.

Community Advisory Board

CPB requirements http://www.cpb.org/stations/certification/cert3.html

Composition: Board Secretary+ at least one other board member + up to seven non-board members

MISSION: (FROM STATION BYLAWS: Article Nine: Community Advisory Board)

The Board may select from the community at large an unspecified number of persons to serve on an advisory panel known as the Board of Advisors, for terms of one (1) year. These Advisors may be reappointed for such additional one (1) year terms as the Board may deem proper. The Advisors shall serve in an advisory capacity to the Board of Directors. Members of the Board of Advisors shall not be Staff Members. The Advisory Board Membership should reasonably reflect the diverse needs and interests of the community.

  • Jeb Conrad, Chamber of Commerce
  • John Whikehart, Deputy Mayor
  • Christian Freitag, Sycamore Land Trust
  • Jim Krause has agreed to join.

It is suggested we put together a mission statement that would describe the purpose of the CAB which would assist with recruitment. The CAB should ascertain local communities’ needs with regard to broadcasting and what needs WFHB could meet. In considering members, we need to include Ellettsville and Nashville residents; ask potential members from the Chambers and other civic-minded individuals. Matt suggests we use the language from the CPB requirements. Maria will look into this and send around a mission statement for approval.

NEW BUSINESS

NPAC – Alycin Bektesh discusses her plans for a News Summit for the month of June or July. She feels there needs to be some focused discussion and exploration of the future of news and public affairs programming. With the day to day operating challenges of the News and Public Affairs programs, it leaves no time to address creative, administrative, and technical issues. There could be a possible separation of the news and public affairs departments. It’s time to talk about how to use the MCPL facilities which are being offered and to plan for the future in terms of programming. SEE

Nominating Committee Procedures

Problems are discussed concerning the recent nominating committee’s role and procedures. Cleveland states it would be helpful to have written minutes from meetings of the nominating committee to keep everyone on track with decisions, deadlines, and other details. There appears to be no consistent nominating committee policies and this topic would be one to send on to the policy committee. Cleveland states as GM, he sees his role on the nominating committee as a conflict of interest because the Board is considered to be the GM’s “boss.” Current procedures that the Board agrees on are: petition nominated candidates must submit their petitions with 10 signatures to the nominating committee (Carolyn is chair) by May 8. Cleveland will send out an email on Spot-Online to remind the participating members the deadline for petition nominated candidates is approaching. The nominating committee will put together and mail out the candidates’ packets prior to the annual meeting.

BoD Code of Conduct – In keeping with the suggestions made by Al Lyons, the Board discusses putting together a Board of Director’s code of conduct prior to the installation of the new Board Members in June. Subjects should include a Board member’s behavior during meetings, as a public representative of WFHB, confidentiality, attendance, and ethics, but is not confined to these topics. Maria states she has spent several hours researching online the Code of Conduct (in a generalized setting) for non-profit Boards of Directors (why invent the wheel) but there has been too much of a disconnect between non-profit service orgs and a radio station. Cleveland mentions he has access to websites that are strictly communications/broadcasting sites and he could possibly run across our much-needed document already configured for another similar organization.

Firehouse Follies – Rich F mentions the Follies are considering raising their ticket prices from $5 to $10. He would like to have the Board’s input and there is a general consensus that $10 is a reasonable price for the quality of that unique live entertainment.

ADJOURNMENT

9:19 p.m.

Scroll To Top