WFHB BOARD OF DIRECTORS
BOARD MINUTES FOR March 23rd, 2015
Kelly Conference Room, #155, City Hall
201 N. Morton St., Bloomington, IN
- CALL TO ORDER / ATTENDANCE OF BOARD MEMBERS
- Present: Joe Estivill, Maria McKinley, William Morris, Pamela Davidson, Sarah Borden, Louis Malone, Cleveland Dietz, Kelly Wherley (recorder).
- REVIEW / APPROVAL OF MINUTES
- Approved, one abstention
- GENERAL MANAGER’S REPORT
- Cleveland brought to our attention the fact that the CPB is considering raising the standards for financial support of rural radio stations. For us this would mean we would need to generate at least 300K a year outside of CPB support. The reason for this increase is their desire to support larger, non-commercial stations. Cleveland has been looking at the budget and thinks underwriting would be the best bet to hit this standard by the year 2017. Also, the advertised goal for spring fund drive is 48K (which is different from the budgeted goal). We’re going to have solicitations hit folks’ mailbox and e-mail box at the same time. Dorothy has been a great help to the station in terms of generating excitement around the fund drive as well as organizing the current drive. She’ll be having catchers write “Thank You” notes to donors when they’re not taking pledges. Sue Peterson made special recognition of WFHB during Match Madness and was very pleased with our involvement. Cleveland is also looking into software that will track underwriters and their history with the station. We continue to use QuickBooks which is limited in ways (especially since only Cleveland can access it) and, with underwriting becoming a much bigger priority, we need a more dynamic way to ensure a good experience for our underwriters. Brown County water is a couple months away from a decision on what they’re going to do out near our translator there, and our actions are going to be dependent on what they finally decide. The new console is going to be installed mid- to late-May and we’re still learning about what we’re going to need to figure out, e.g., the Emergency Alert System and On-Air light triggers. The quarterly meeting is going to happen on Saturday afternoon at the Waldron.
- DEVELOPMENT DIRECTOR REPORT
- The DD is working with Bloomerang, which is donor database software. Once it’s fully incorporated, it will safe a bunch of time, especially with tracking donations and the like.
- COMMITTEE REPORTS
- Executive Committee
- Finance Committee
i. Our 5K angel donor is a little caught up and we’re not sure when, exactly, that donation is going to come through. They’ve been working on the budget and the last Fiscal year has been tough because there were one-time purchases that HAD to happen (HVAC and Audit). We’re looking at aggressive plans to up the income and the fund drive 48K goal does not include the approximately 6K allotted for day sponsors.
- Policy Committee
i. They’ve been looking at the by-laws and will be presenting to the board in the near future (but it’s highly unlikely that we’ll be able to put forth proposed changes before the 60-day deadline before the annual meeting).
- Personnel Committee
i. Maria McKinley is now the chair of the Personnel Committee and has Sarah Ryterband here to be considered for appointment/nomination to the board (to fill in the vacancy from Rich Reardin). There will be three positions up for election. Louis Malone and Pamela Davidson will be running for re-election, Joe Estivill will not be running for re-election, and the term to be filled for Rich Reardin will expire in the summer of 2016. Sarah gave the board an introduction to her experience and work and the board appointed her to fill the vacancy created by Rich’s departure.
- OLD BUSINESS
- Board of Directors’ Operations Manual (Louis Malone)
i. Nothing to report
- New Board Member Nominations
- NEW BUSINESS
- Elect Treasurer
i. William Morris moved that Sarah Borden be elected Board Treasurer, Louis Malone seconds. Motion passes. Congratulations, Sarah!
- Strategic Plan Review/Next Step(s)
i. Cleveland took us through the goals of the Strategic Plan and the degree of completion of them. We discussed several of the ones we will NOT pursue (e.g., WFHB internet app). The Strategic Plan encompasses a lot and is quite ambitious—we’ve completed a lot and made progress on even more and we’ll continue prioritizing them.
- SUMMARY OF MOTIONS MADE and PASSES/FAILS
- Minutes from February 23rd passed.
- Sarah Ryterband was elected to fill vacancy created by departure of Rich Reardin.
- Sarah Borden was elected to be Board Treasurer.