A winter weather Bulletin from South Central Indiana REMC advises our listening area of dangerous conditions due to low temperatures possible over the weekend:
A significant winter storm could result in more than a foot of snow in parts of Indiana on Sunday, before frigid temperatures settle in. A winter storm watch has been issued for much of Indiana. The low temperature Tuesday morning is forecast at -15 degrees with dangerous wind chills in the -30 to -40 range.
South Central Indiana REMC employees have prepared for worst-case scenarios, should members experience power outages during this time. Please be aware that because of the dangerously cold temperatures, any power outages that occur during this time will most likely be prolonged.
In the event that you experience a power outage, please keep your windows and doors shut, and make sure any generators are properly installed.
The Department of Homeland Security Offers the following checklist for an emergency preparedness checklist:
– Look up electric utility’s outage reporting phone number and add it to their cell phone contact list
– Food and water for three days (includes three gallons of water per person, per day)
– Battery operated or hand crank all hazards radio
– Extra batteries for radio and flashlight
– Extra clothing, warm blankets, sleeping bags for staying warm in your home if you lose power
– Special items (