WFHB BOARD OF DIRECTORS
BOARD AGENDA FOR OCTOBER 27th, 2014
Hooker Conference Room, #245, City Hall
201 N. Morton St., Bloomington, IN
Present: Sheryl Mitchell, Darin Bagley, Joe Estivill, Markus Lowe, Louis Malone, Maria McKinley, Cleveland Dietz, Rich Reardin, Richard Fish, Kelly Wherley (recorder).
- CALL TO ORDER / ATTENDANCE OF BOARD MEMBERS
- REVIEW / APPROVAL OF MINUTES
- GENERAL MANAGER’S REPORT
- Following up on the fall fund drive, Cleveland iterated the need to ask a larger variety of people for fund drive. Joe Estivill asked for clarification of the CPB classification and it is for this year which is why we’re getting the audit done in 2014. Joe E. asked that Cleveland encourage volunteers to participate in the audit and all the other opportunities for engagement. The new Volunteer Coordinator is Adriane Pontecorvo. The audit will be good for at least a year and can depend on the information grant awarding organizations solicit from the station, e.g., “when was the last time your institution performed an audit?” Rich Reardin suggested the need to coordinate with current underwriters during fund drive and also including their urls in the newsletter we distribute to help publicize their business. Markus Lowe stressed the need for follow-up with the volunteers and fund drive feedback and the “softer” elements of fund drive. We are always looking for ways to create excitement and enthusiasm around fund drive and constant work towards that—thanking donors and the like—is always a good thing. Apparently there were quite a few direct-mailers that didn’t get delivered as well, which was an error we’d hope to avoid in the future. Kelly Wherley suggested all programmers on air during fund drive pitch regardless of the time they’re on the air and Louis Malone stressed the community mobilizing that can occur during fund drive. Rich Reardin reiterates the need for WFHB to go beyond the airwaves and really boost the online presence and the coordination of the station along with other community organizations (like Bloomingfoods) since the nature of our radio listenership is too small to generate data. Maria McKinley suggested publicizing the various and specific ways fund drive money will be dedicated and also some of the success stories that were made possible by the generous donations from our listeners—it’s nice for folks to have tangible evidence of how their contribution helps. Joe Estivill discussed the merit of placing an ad in the Herald Times, Maria McKinley suggested placing an ad in the IU Alumni magazine. Cleveland Dietz said any money placed towards advertising should ideally have a lot of crossover with WFHB listeners. We discussed the need for communication with the volunteer base as well as various forms of incentivizing volunteers to raise the most money they can. Markus Lowe suggested crowd-sourcing the theme for future fund drives.
- DEVELOPMENT DIRECTOR REPORT
- Dorothy sent a quick report and Louis Malone commented that the youth education (50K) grant due date of February 1st makes more sense for the station. Markus Lowe suggested Dorothy Granger send out updates to spot-online as well. Rich Reardin requested updates from the Development Director so that the board is informed of major spending, get pertinent information, and can contribute their own expertise if applicable.
- COMMITTEE REPORTS
- Executive Committee
i. Executive committee did approve the change in the budget for the Stampfli audit. We had budgeted for 3K, and it turned out to be 5K.
- Finance Committee
i. Finance Committee discussed the audit. They’re going to take a look at the strategic plan and try and list remaining items in terms of priorities. The Pastor Fund: Pam Davidson mentioned that a bank could run batches for credit card transactions free of cost for non-profits and Dorothy asked a particular bank but they didn’t do that, so we’ll have to look elsewhere if we’d like to do this. Our barrier to credit card donations is pretty high with the ACH information we solicit, so we’re exploring other options for an easier online experience and a larger portion of the revenue we’re generating. We’re marking the calendar for the Sophia Travis grant next year. We need to look at sponsorship and underwriting opportunities ASAP as we have shortfalls in these areas in terms of budgeting and actuals.
- Policy Committee
i. We’ll address this in new business.
- OLD BUSINESS
- Board of Directors’ Operations Manual
i. Work has been done on the job descriptions but updates to the operations manual are still in the works.
- CATS / News Department
i. The library is trying to merge the two MOUs and Cleveland is trying to get clarification on certain points. It’s moving, but slowly.
- Equipment Audit
i. Serve IT has not responded yet to our application.
- News Summit Report
i. Alycin is waiting for reports from a few producers, but it looks like it’s mostly done. We discussed the News Department mission statement and the replacement thereof. Rich Reardin discussed the e-mail correspondence he had with Helen Harrell. The board discussed the podcasting issue with BloomingOUT again.
- Activate Personnel Nominating Committee to produce Policy on nominations and hiring / General Manager Evaluation
i. Maria McKinley would like to both be ON the committee and be the person people go to talk about being on the committee. Louis Malone sent some bullet points to the policy committee with regards to hiring and nomination policies. Louis suggests that Cleveland’s involvement in the committee center around hiring and not the nomination process. The personnel committee agreed on the time and place of their next meeting.
- NEW BUSINESS
- Board/Visioning Retreat
i. We discussed who would we invite and we’re going to shoot for the weekend of December 6th as the best time to hold the retreat.
- Audit approval
i. Addressed in the Executive and Finance Committee reports.
- Policy Document Approvals
i. Policy Committee looked at the governance documents and bylaws. They re-did the organizational chart. Special thanks to Richard Fish for formatting and working with the job descriptions and making them uniform. The board discussed the organizational chart and the job descriptions and, with the corrections and clarifications that came up during discussion, approved all but a few which will be taken up in the next meeting. Current job descriptions can be found _____________. We also discussed the grievance policy but tabled formal discussion until the next meeting. And member can appeal the decisions of the board by submitting a request to the board.
- Sheryl Mitchell motions to adjourn at 10:50pm and Louis seconds. Meeting adjourned.