Home > Author Archives: WFHB Manager

Author Archives: WFHB Manager

Help Brown County Hour Raise Money for a New Studio

The Brown County Hour has moved its operations into the new Brown County Historical Society building and is happy to have more space to record in, but needs to build a studio space to provide the quality recording that Brown County–and the rest of south central Indiana–deserves. You can help them pay for it by coming out to enjoy some fine Brown County musicians and participating in a silent auction.

November 1

7 – 10 PM at the Brown County Inn’s Town Hall

$10 entry

Finance Committee Meeting Minutes – October 22, 2014

Attending: Mark Lowe, Jean Hollinger, Pam Davidson, Sarah Borden, Cleveland Dietz

call to order: 6:06pm

1. Audit vs transmitter – Audit wins – $5,000. CPB is $70,000+ income

2. strategic items from strategic plan – Cleveland will share list, and look for in kind donations within [todo]

3. Lotus CDs – more money from BCT placement than Lotus Festival store placement $54 and $30

4. Honda Foundation grant – backup for Raymond Foundation, still will pursue – due Nov 1, pick a strategic spend and run [todo]

5. Angel donors – 1 is in second is coming end of month

6. Fund drive – $8000 short

7. MCCF – pass thru fund. Cleveland to look into it [todo]

8. fund drive numbers – discussed strategies to correct

- lapsed donors, year end drive, credit/debit sustaining donations

9. Sofia Travis grant – calendar mark it for august / sept – county council subcom [todo]

10. Looked at current numbers. Noteworthy:

- 92.3% of pledges collected thus far

- short $4500 in underwriting sales this month

- short $3000 in underwriting day sponsors for fund drive

- need to look at sponsor/underwriting opportunities asap

Adjourn 7:10pm

Executive Committee Meeting Minutes – October 13, 2014

Present:  Joe Estivill, Markus Lowe, Cleveland Dietz, Kelly Wherley (recorder).

  1. Agenda was set.  We discussed the details of what needs to happen for the Personnel Committee.  Additionally, we discussed logistics for the retreat.  We discussed some of the different options that we have for having an audit done for the station—the price tag for which is likely to be a bit more than what we had budgeted for.

Brown County Day – 1 – 3 PM, October 10 – Muddy Boots Cafe

Listen In and Listen Up: A Message from Brown County Hour producer Pam Raider

The fall fund drive for our local community radio station WFHB (FM91.3 and 100.7) begins on October 3rd and runs through October 12th.  By definition, this station is listener supported and volunteer powered – nothing would happen without our participation and support.  And I for one am grateful for their varied and entertaining programming from the eclectic variety of music, including live Lotus entertainment, to award winning daily local news.  I have learned so much from their many talk shows, interviews and taped lectures.

WFHB is a connection to the wider world not only through what we hear but because we get to share our stories on The Brown County Hour twice each month (we are into our fifth year of production).  On the first Sunday of the drive, October 5th episode 31 of The Brown County Hour will air at 9 am with two of the team members, Dave Seastrom and Pam Raider, hosting live on the air.  By the way you can also catch this or any of our past episodes on line at browncountyhour.com or streamed from wfhb website.  I hope you will tune in and let the station know you support the show by pledging some amount which you can do by calling 812-323-1200 or on line at wfhb.org.  Let’s keep this signal strong – it takes everyone’s help to pay the expenses.

It is important to continue to support unique local endeavors that keep community strong.  WFHB is a training ground for citizen journalists who learn how to report on critical issues in their own backyard, this is community empowerment, something we could use more of.

During this fund drive week in October, you will have another opportunity to show your support by coming out to Muddy Boots on Friday October 10th where we will be broadcasting live from 1 – 3 pm, and Kade Puckett will be performing at 1:20 p.m. and the Indiana Boys will be performing at 2:20 p.m.  You just might get on the air yourself as one of the proud supporters of WFHB.  Where else do you have a chance to actually participate in a radio station?

Since our pledges are votes for programs we like, we actually help determine on air content.    So step up and keep this signal strong by supporting us during this fund drive.  I think you’ll be glad you did.

Saturday’s Child: 20th Anniversary Special!

October 11, 11 a.m. – 1 p.m.
Monroe County History Center
FREE

Saturday’s Child, WFHB’s longest-running live music broadcast, is 20 years old this year and we’re having a party. Join us for a super-special two-hour broadcast Saturday, Oct. 11, from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. at the Monroe County History Center when Saturday’s Child and the WFHB Fall Fund Drive join forces to bring you some of Bloomington’s premier musicians: Carrie Newcomer, Grey Larsen & Cindy Kallet, Jason & Ginger, and Tom Roznowski to celebrate our birthday and the fall fund drive.

As always, the bagels, coffee, juice and music are on us, and the show will be broadcast live on your community radio station, WFHB.

Finance Committee Minutes – September 17, 2014

Attending: Cleveland Dietz, Jean Hollinger, Joe Estivill, Mark Lowe

Call to order 6:10pm

Old Business

  1. Audit vs transmitter question

    1. Audit is critical now. CPB funding requires Audit, so Audit is required this year

    2. Need to clarify dates for Audit requirement (and length of years)

    3. Need to clarify the re-classification

    4. Station will need to raise $300k per year to get back to full CPB funding. $208k current budget so would need additional ~$98k to reach Level B

    5. Bring to board – What is bare minimum for CPB, and what is required minimum for grants? [Cleveland]

  2. Development director

    1. Joe – does development director need to be on Finance Committee?

    2. Mark – let Dorothy know where numbers are and ask if she wants to be on the Committee

  3. Lotus Fund Drive recap

    1. Received $9k, but up $1k (estimate)

    2. Cleveland to make call to Lotus tomorrow and get with Jim on how we can get rest of tickets off our hands.

  4. Development Director update

    1. Dorothy Granger hired and working. Meeting and greeting everyone.

    2. Lotus CDs at Spring Hill and BCT Box Office ($6/$4 split, $.90 to make)

    3. Weekly 1-1 meetings for a development plan.

    4. Participating in conversation with Youth Services Bureau grant

    5. Raymond Foundation grant too

    6. Honda Foundation grant

  5. Audit vs Translator from board (see #1 previous)

New business / Strategic

  1. Credit card: Mark – look for better CC with better rates and incentives

Review monthly statements

  1. Analyze current finance

    1. Good chance of meeting budget for Membership Inc and Underwriting

    2. Follies brought in $550

    3. More than 55 people so seems the tickets were sold at less value (?)

    4. Development director money has not appeared yet

    5. Expense issues

      1. Advertising = Joe Lamantia work from last year

      2. Internet services = verizon account not yet closed

      3. Dues & Subscriptions = old bill from last year PRX

      4. Accounting = budgeted for audit

      5. Engineering = power supplies

      6. Building = HVAC

      7. Computer supplies = Grant money from BCCF for equipment for BC Hour

      8. Office = Printer expense and toner

  2. Highlights for board

    1. Cleveland – Close to actual budget on a very ambitious budget

    2. Mark – Concerns on angel donors bringing in money

    3. All – Concerns on audit – need details, etc. to make an informed decision

    4. Mark/Joe – Flip Lotus tickets into a positive – give to vols, donors, partners, etc.

Adjourn 7:10pm

Donate to WFHB and Receive Lotus Festival Tickets

 

Click here. Thank you so much!

 

 

Policy Committee Meeting Minutes – September 8, 2014

Present: Richard Fish, Cleveland Dietz, Markus Lowe, William Morris (Joe Estivill sat in too)

Absent: Hondo Thompson

  1. First question was how much the WFHB Organizational Chart should entail? i.e. should committees be on the chart? If committees are on the chart, does that imply they have authority within the Line of Authority?  Is it veto power?  Advisory role?
    1. What position did Board reach regarding Committees and their place on the organizational chart?  Are committees advisory or something else?
    2. RF asked “what do News Director and Music Director think?”
    3. CD: At first, Committees had review control, i.e. review shows/programs for air-ability.  The News Committees (Public Affairs impact) screen shows to present to Alycin.  In Music, however, has been different.
    4. ML: Bottom-line question: should we add Committees to the Org. Chart or not?  Does their presence on the chart reflect a hierarchy?  Is Cleveland a tie-breaker?

CD: The situation (tie-breaking) has never arisen, but it’s good to have a mechanism.

RF: Is News Director head of News Committee? And, is Music Director head of Music Committee? No.

CD:  Having Committees on chart is a good visual aide to see where committees are in the overall construct of Organization.

ML:  There are times when Committees work parallel with GM, or the Board can put Committees anywhere on the chart that they want.

  1. Question of Committee Names, ie changing “Production Volunteers” to “Production Volunteers Staff”
  2. GJ/RF: distinguishing between “Volunteer Staff” and “Volunteer Supervisor Staff”

REVIEWING CHART

  1. Production Manager      – okay
  2. Development Director   – okay
  3. Facilities Committee       – okay
  4. CHANGES – i.     “Fundraising Committee up to spot between Development Director and

Facilities Committee”

  1.                       ii.      Change “Production Volunteers” (under Production Manager) to “Production

Volunter Staff”

  1. Music Director – i. use “DJ” (not programmer)
    1. change “Live Music Production” to “Live Production Engineer”

iii. add another line under “Live Production Enginner”: “Library Volunteer Staff”

  1. News and Public Affairs Committee and News Director are next to other              – okay

i.On line under News Director there’s a question of how “producers, reporters, and engineers” should be structured, but different shows are structured different ways …. So, maybe call them “NPAC Volunteer Staff” … same with the “Music Volunteer Staff” and do away with distinctions.  Final chart would reflect “News Director” down to “Producers” down to “NPAC Volunteer Staff”

ACTION:  Cleveland will make changes and re-circulate

  1. Job Descriptions – Richard re-formated and merged info in suggested descriptions – BIG help
    1. a.       General Manager

i.      IB – Under “Personnel Management” GM does not really recruit, choose and appoint volunteers.  In fact, all paid staff perform this job.

ii.      RF added 4th “qualification” – “Experience with, and a good working knowledge of….” – okay

iii.      Under “Supervisory Relationships” – The word “all”; GM doesn’t have to “train” and “supervise” – just see that volunteer activity gets done

iv.      JE: who follows up with underwriters?  Billing?

-GM is ultimately responsible to see that matters pertaining to fund-raising; s/he can delegate as s/he sees appropriate.

v.   #7(c). – trying to add something regarding interaction/dealings with Landlord.

Question: should language be generalized to cover “works with appropriate

representatives to maintain compliance with all leased property.”

vi.#8(c) – superfluous comma at end

vii.  Question: to what extent does GM “oversee volunteer meetings”?  Is this a

personnel management item (under Section 1), i.e. “ensures that volunteer

membership meetings are held as required by station by-laws and policies.”

viii.  ML: re-checking old GM description to be sure “duties and responsibilities”

have been incorporated into this new description.

 

  1. b.      Development Director – content okay, but we may change format.

 

  1. Question: Can things be done off-line?  Should we meet every two weeks?

Agreement:  Let’s try and do more online.  We only have three more positions to consider – Development Director, Production Manager and Chief Engineer.

  1.  Ahead:  two other positions and grievance procedure.

Finance Committee Minutes – August 20, 2014

Present:

  • Cleveland
  • Markus
  • Sara
  • Jean

Formation of committee roles:

  • Brief introductions by all around
  • Markus established as Secretary
  • Jean established as Chair

Finance experience:

Cleveland began by asking if we had any previous experience with Finance Committee?

  • Mark – no experience other than previous as a GM
  • Sara – has experience with Youth Services Bureau working as finance manager and member of Finance Committee IACAR
  • Jean – no experience

Current process

Look at the current budget process and accounting processes:

  • Current budget was created by Joe (acting board treasurer), Sara (finance committee), and Cleveland
  • Budgets are approved by Board
  • FY 2014 is June 1, 2014 to May 31, 2015
  • Accounting process
    • Use Quickbooks software matched to budget
    • Put in monthly expenses
    • Reconcile each month
    • Quarterly taxes and annual taxes through Stanfly (sp?) Accounting
      • $150 every 3 months
      • $1000 for annual submission

Duties of committee

Discussion on what role we thing the committee should play, beyond the stated/defined goal in the committee document.

  • Sara – Noted that Committee and report usually includes Highlights of finance / areas of interest, strategic planning of finance, and discrepancies in the budget
  • Cleveland – Favors highlights over line by line reports
  • Mark – agreed
  • Cleveland – one duty is analyzing data; another is financial guidance/oversight
  • Sara – strategic financial planning; looking at the horizon
  • Cleveland – concerned of a really large expense, transmitter outage, etc.
  • Jean – in favor of establishing a “rainy day” fund to account for this concern/risk
  • Mark – we don’t have to budget for zero, we can budget for a surplus
  • Sara – noted other organizations have looked at how many months of operating cost they want to cover for rainy day and try to quantify that

Budget walkthrough

Cleveland explained the current budget aspects

  • Not a whole lot of modification from last year
  • Additions include: Extra staff for dev director, furnace replacement, and independent audit
  • Offset by increase in underwriting from dev director work to be realized
  • Almost everything else is based off last year’s expense

Budget observations

  • Mark – We could reduce Program Fees to offset some costs and move the Asst News Director to restricted fees
  • Translator purchase – $4-$5k replacement – Was not budgeted for
    • Jean – Can we write a grant for another item and move money to translator
    • Mark – could we swap audit for translator?
    • Sara – we should bring before the board “audit vs translator” and ask for priority
    • Cleveland – Development director candidate backed out; Making second offer to #2 candidate
    • Mark – concerns about pay for Dev Director with only half of salary secured
    • Cleveland – Dev Director can do corporate sponsorship and more concerted focus on underwriting; Approx 6 months of pay reserved from grants

Next meeting agenda draft:

  • Old Business
    • Lotus Fund Drive recap
    • Development Director upate
    • Audit vs Translator from board
    • Review monthly statements
      • Analyze current finance
      • Highlights for board
      • Strategic planning
        • Budgeting for the future
        • Capital needs – equipment lifecycles; ServeIT perpetuation plan
        • Grants

Amigo Fields will be WFHB’s special guest for Saturday’s Child September 13th!

Local group Amigo Fields will bring their unique blend of English and Spanish Americana music to Saturday’s Child at 11 a.m. Sept. 13, in the Monroe County History Center.

Scroll To Top